Sunday, November 13, 2016

The past month or so

Life has been moving forward.

I love teaching my kids, especially the oldest ones. We have had a lot of interesting conversations about the US as a whole with a lot of different viewpoints, which keeps my on my toes. I love it. I'm struggling a little with figuring out how to get my 6th graders engaged - there is just such a huge difference between 11 year olds and 18 year olds. It is becoming more clear to me that I prefer the older kids. It's a good realization to have, but as longs as I'm here, I don't see the age range I teach changing. So I'll learn to adapt.

I also love coaching. I have gotten to build some relationships with kids through passing on my wisdom and continuing to demoralize them when I play against them. Ha! There is a high school girls team for the first time, so that's a lot of fun - and a lot of work. Teaching 16 year old girls the basics of basketball is not something I saw coming. The boys keep referring to how great the NBA is... and I keep reminding them that it sucks because it stole the Sonics. It's all good fun.

I also have had some interesting conversations:

Randomly in the middle of class:
Student - "Miss, why do you have wisdom hair?"
Me - "Because I am old."
Student - blank stare

During break one day:
Student - "I wish you would lecture more" (I never saw that one coming)

Before a basketball game:
Student - "Miss Maxwell, you should get a car so you can give us rides to the game."
Me - "I'll give you a ride to the game, but not home. You guys stink after the game."
Student - "We can roll up the window and just sit in the smell" (or something equally as gross)
Me - "I'll get a convertible and only give you a ride home when it isn't raining so the top can be down."

During civics:
Student - "I need to learn about government because I want to take over the world"

Also during civics:
Student - "Did Hitler get elected like Trump did?"

Again, during civics:
Student - "Miss Maxwell, where would you go if there was a Zombie Apocalypse?"
Me - (pointing to map of Alaska and Canada vaguely) "Somewhere around here... I can't tell you. You're not invited"

While learning about the rise of Christianity in Rome:
Student A - "Miss Maxwell, are you a Christian?"
Me - "Yeah"
Student A - "You're not like the other teachers. You don't force it on us as much."
Student B - "You have to be a Christian to work here."
Student A - "It's like the others don't care about what we believe"
That one struck a chord a little - it definitely reminded me of going to a Christian school growing up. It was a good reminder that there is a reason why I am here.

I'm learning a lot here. One thing I need to keep learning is how to let Christ invade every aspect of my life and my teaching so kids don't wonder if I'm a Christian or not, but also continue to not feel forced to believe what I believe....

1 comment:

  1. Love reading these convos you have with kids. I should send you a picture of the final essay one of my students wrote. It stated, "I have never known a teacher who can switch from talking about genitals to professing her love for Jesus like Mrs. Ardy."

    ReplyDelete